Monday, October 24, 2011

Kalyn's Halloween Cake


My second Halloween themed cake. This cake was made for a very sweet girl who just turned 13. She wanted it to be Halloween themed, and chocolate. I didn't want there to be anything that may be too old for her, such as tombstones or bleeding zombies;) So I looked around online and came up with this.

 The cake was a double layer chocolate cake. The first layer chocolate buttercream and the second peanut butter butterscotch. Peanut butter mixed with butterscotch is one of my new obsessions.



When the cake was all stacked up and iced, I put Halloween sprinkles on the bottom.


 Then I melted white chocolate melts and made candy pumpkins. I used orange dust to cover them and gel to decorate them.





Then I got a recipe for meringue ghosts from the joy of baking website. http://www.joyofbaking.com/halloweenrecipes/MeringueGhosts.html I lost my candy eyes, so I had to just use black gel. Boring, but I think they are still cute. Then I put the dish that the cake is on top on four pumpkins. The pumpkins are made out of orange marshmallow fondant. I bought 4, 3 inch pillars. Rolled them in fondant. And did my best to make them resemble pumpkins. The face is made out of fondant as well. Lucky for me I already had some chocolate and green fondant made. So I just used that. 


Hopefully this isn't my last Halloween cake this season. But two is still better than none. Plus, I can totally see this same cake as a winter cake:)

No comments:

Post a Comment