Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Project 365 - Day 99


Happy Halloween!

I really do love Halloween. Not just the day, the "season". It makes me sad that Halloween is on it's way out, but I do understand it. I understand it for the reasoning of it being too dangerous to go door to door anymore. I love that I am in a place where we are able to allow our daughters the experience of trick or treating. It's amazing at how such a young age, they truly are in love with the entire process. Not just the eating the candy ... though that part of course is their favorite. They loved dressing up, they loved being with Mommy, Daddy, and friends. They even asked about extended family and friends that don't live near by. I guess the Halloween spirit brought out the love in them:) They loved walking around, going door to door, saying their lines (trick or treat, thank you, happy Halloween), they loved seeing the other children (the few we saw), they loved carrying their own bags (mostly Anne), they even loved being scared a little here and there, and then of course the eating of the candy.

What really bums me is the unnecessary reasons for Halloween coming to a close. Very few were walking but us. Every one was driving their children door to door. Really? We can't get out and walk a few blocks anymore? Some children weren't even dressed up. They just had on every day clothes. And this big issue of Christianity and Halloween. I never once questioned the "dark" meaning behind Halloween as a child. Why do we feel the need to turn innocent fun into a complex situation?

I know this holiday can't last forever. But I hope we can hold on to the Halloween that I grew up with for a bit longer. If not, it will just be a story that will embarrass my children in the future;)

No comments:

Post a Comment