Sunday, October 16, 2011

My First Customer




 

Today I sold my first cake. And lucky for me my first sold got to be a really fun Halloween theme. I love Halloween. I always thought that when I had children Halloween would be extra cool. But the truth is, I have very little time for all of the Halloween fun. The girls costumes are bought last minute, as well as our candy. We do one round of trick or treating on post (maybe), and another at the zoo. And then before I know it, it's all over. So this was a treat for me.

So here is my step by step (kind of) journal of Bigdalucci's Bakery first cake:)


This was my first time working with color flow icing. I wasn't nearly as fast as I should have been. But lucky for me, since it's a scary house, I could mess up lots. I found that the Halloween theme was helpful throughout the entire process in the mess up area:)



I made two chocolate cakes and one pink lemonade cake. Please excuse the USPS box, I ran out of flat/mobile spaces for the cakes.


I bought two 14 inch silver cake bases and covered it with black fondant to hold the cake.


Here are all of the cakes and the cake base covered with fondant, stacked, and ready for decoration. An empty palette some may say. A tower of, holy cow now what to do, to me:) So here goes nothing.


Here is where the flaws really take a peek! This is the best angle I could get a picture from. The rest of it looked even worse. But learning, I still am. This was royal icing that I used throughout the rest of the cake. I made one batch and separated it into two batches. One I dyed, one I left white. Now the next picture takes a bit of a jump:) I was working on a deadline with two two year olds driving me insane!


The tombstones are chocolate formed from the chocolate melts I bought at Michael's. The trim is chocolate buttercream pipped on. I used some orange dust to cover the tombstones and the base. I pipped the gate and the bats with the royal icing. Then I drizzled some orange and black sugar over the base and the top tier. I bought the Wilton Halloween Sprinkle set which is where the sugar came from.


I did my best to cut ghosts out of the orange fondant. I pasted them on the cake with water and covered them with white royal icing. The bats I had made the same way as the gravestones. I wasn't planning on using them, but I made some just in case. I'm glad I did because I think the top tier looked bare without them. I used the royal icing to paste those on, but if you look closely you can see the icing oozing out from behind the bat. Next time I need to dye it first.


Like the idiot that I quite often am, I forgot to put the lollipop sticks on the back of the castle. So I glued those on with the color flow icing. And my loving husband, Rob, sat with a hair dryer on the cold shot aimed at the back of the castle for 30 minutes:) But it worked, and when that was dry, in went the castle, and done was the cake!

I have no feedback from the customer on the cake, but I'm thinking if I don't get a complaint, all is well? So, so far so good;) I'm super excited about this as my first cake. And I'd like to give a special thanks to Lindsey Hamilton (not Templeton) whom without this cake would have never been ordered:) Rebecca Webster, for being there to brain storm for me:) And to my Snookums for blow drying and for caring for all of our circus (two 2 year olds and two crazy but cute pupper doggies):) Love you all.

Looking forward to my next cake!

all crafts Homemade Projects ~ Add Yours {10/18}

Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. Amazing!! And yes, this was the perfect cake for um... "flaws", but this was just an amazing cake all around. Good for you for taking this on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liz...love how you outlined all of the steps on how you put this Halloween cake together. You did such a great job on it. Hope this is just the first of many more to come for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I am doing another Halloween cake this week. But it will be nothing like this cake. Gotta live up all the Halloween fun before it's over!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Peggy! I was too late. I'm still new to the world of linky parties. Though I am quickly learning that they are too much fun and so addicting;)

    ReplyDelete